Thursday, March 26, 2009

The BPO Whore

When I first heard about call centers, i plainly thought that people who are working in this field are just 'taking calls'.

I entered the call center world in 2004, a week after my birthday. I got really excited because my brother then used to work in convergys, where i also first got employed. First thing that made the job so attractive was the moooolahh - the pay. True. Who would ever thought that an unprofessional guy like me could get a job that pays like a manager from a fastfood chain? - where i used to work for a couple of months. Convergys opened my mind to a whole new life. It made me realize what i'm capable of despite the fact that i am an undergraduate. It boosted my pride. I didn't mind losing my job at all coz i know id get employed to somewhere else. I admit that i am a call center hopper. No big deal! Got tonz of friends who are like that. Worked in Cebu Global for 2 months, then in PeopleSupport for a year and 8 months, and then now in ePerformax as a Quality Analyst. I became more proud when i reached the management level knowing what i just attained academically. No offense to my friends who are graduates, but its just something that i can be proud of when i come to think that i have "professionals" who are under my team and are under my lead (at work). But hey, i do have a lot of respect to all my agents coz they taught me a lot of lessons that molded me into what kind of a manager i am now. (To even think about it, i am still a student.)





Getting to where i am is never a walk in the park. I know its not really that big of a position, but to reach this level is an achievement most especially to a student like me.

This really took me off the track to even made me decide to stop studying. It blazed my mind off from my life's gameplan. It totally twisted my life and turned it into something unplanned and abrupt. The money that i got out from my work took me to a lot of places - fed me on high end restaurants (something that i had heen deprived from since i dont come from a well-to-do family) - made me stand on my own feet - let me lived alone - made me do stuff that i really wanted - made me take anybody home without being reprimanded - visited anybody or to wherever i wanted - went home late - or not to go home at all - waking up late - smoked a lot - drunk all i can - got me dead wasted - spent how much i wanted - bought whatever i liked - did whatever i pleased - life was totally a beach! Those were the things that call centers got me into. A life full of luxury and wealth. Those were the things that made me grateful about the americans who thought about outsourcing their businesses here.

I would never have to forget mentioning that through this industry, i met most of the dearest people in my life. My 2 bestfriends, 3 gurlfriends, the goddesses, team mates, foodtripmates, out-of-town buddies, gym buddies, QAs, coaches, supes, housemates, or basically the people who i can mutually call - friends.





In every job that we may engage ourselves into, we can never take any pressures off. It is always there. Even if we end up with our dream job, we still cant deny that there will always be deadlines, targets, goals, accountabilities, deliverables and what nots. Well, it wont be called a "job" if you wont have responsibilities, right? In call centers, these things do exist and its really up to you - your body, mind, and heart - on how you will dwell and balance on everything. Ive got lots of friends who are really excellent in what theyre doing on the floor but their bodies could just not bear the demand of the job - waking up on ungodly hours, working overnight and extremely extended hours of work on pre and post shift meetings. You also have to learn how to stabilize yourself emotionally regardless of the physical exhaustion that you get. What actually makes this job challenging is how you need to appreciate the need of faking your emotions inorder to satisfy the person you are talking to on the other line, at the same time your boss, your team and the company. When i say "faking" your emotions, it means that no matter what happened to you earlier today, you need to maintain a professional disposition towards your client - lucky if you are in a good mood - but how about if when you lack rest because you slept late due to an existing "brown-out" that resulted to being irritable by the heat of the afternoon sun? Bad Trip! and then on your way to work, an old lady stepped on to your shoes when she rode in a jeep where ur riding.. Can you set your mood immediately by the time you'll take in calls and still smile on all of your conversations? I guess not! And Oh, I have to mention, adding up all the exasperating co-workers that you may have, PUH-LEEEZ! Ruins Your Day! Better AVOID than being sorry!

Looking back, i cant help but smile and realize how the industry molded me into what i am and enhanced my skills personally and professionally - started as an agent where the headset and the avaya were my weapons and my tongue was my ammunition - now a Performance Analyst where the evaluation sheets are my tools and my mind as my fortress. Despite how i whine about uncertain schedules, unspeakable pressures, and infuriating "people", i still have to say "THANK YOU BPO" for a life full of pleasant and aggravating memories that will forever etch in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment